Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What is Newsworthy?

In our last class someone (I forget who, sorry) suggested that the paper news should focus less on entertainment and the arts and etc, and focus more on just the world and local news. When I first heard this suggestion I thought it was terrible (as those are my favorite parts of the paper) but it got me thinking about what is newsworthy. For as long as I can remember the news has tried to be a little bit of everything. World news, local news, weather, sports, fluff pieces, comics, fashion, you name it, the paper covers it. But do articles about new recipes or finding your perfect jeans really belong in the New York Times? After all, if you are really interested in these things, wouldn't you be more likely to buy a magazine devoted entirely to the subject? I personally would miss the comics and the advice sections if they were gone, but maybe the news having something for everyone is no longer practical.

2 comments:

Dalia said...

It can be practical to have those "fun" things in newspapers because it can attract younger readers. Plus,I feel that those topics are fun to have and to read. I think that they may not be as important as other news, but they do lighten up the mood.

Liz said...

I think the fluffier, less serious articles add something to the paper. It adds some levity to it. If a paper only had articles on war, politics, and struggles overseas, I think it would be a bit heavy for the average reader. Plus, these lighter articles are simply entertaining and who doesn't enjoy that?