Monday, September 15, 2008

What Do We Really Want?

Everyday day I get at least one or two e-mails regarding the new Facebook.  It either is asking me to join a group or sending me some bumper sticker depicting the person's irritation with the new lay-out.  I personally do not understand what all the fuss is about, it honestly is not that different, but people seem to be having heart attacks over it.
Thinking of this, I recalled how the youth is supposed to be more interested in interactive websites, new technology.  The media is constantly creating new websites to complement their newspapers or television news shows, adding interesting features to entice the younger generation.  For this reason I do not understand why there is such resistance against the new facebook.  It strives to better the product, allowing more applications, a new and improved look, it is everything that the younger demographic is supposed to eat up.
The question then, is why is the response to this so negative?  Do young people actually not like new and improved technology; instead becoming as stuck in their ways as older people who swear by their morning Tribune?

4 comments:

Sarah S. said...

I was actually just discussing this with my friend. Neither of us is too fond of Vista and the new Microsoft Word. I realized that the reason I don't like it is that I have spent years learning how to use Windows XP and the 2003 version of Word. I just don't feel like learning a new one now, it's inconvenient. Then I realized I sounded like an old person, and by the way, I don't like the new Facebook either. I don't know I guess I am stuck in my ways already.

GWW said...

Actually the reason I dislike it is because I personally find it more complicated. I guess it depends on what you use Facebook for, but personally I just want to be able to post on my friends walls, look at their pictures, and do some occasional stalking (just kidding). I hate having all the tabs and applications; they just get in the way. I guess we are more like the older generation than we might care to admit...

chelsea b said...

I think when studies show that teens/youth want the new technologies and changing websites and whatnot are often misinterpreted and result in a lot of distress: like the Facebook thing. Yes, we like being able to social network, have things catch our half a millisecond attention span, and want to be able to control what we're looking at, but at the same time we're all creatures of habit. We stick to what we know best and accel at that. We don't want to have to re-navigate through a websit we already know like the back of our hand!

Adrila said...

I don't like the new facebook for the same reasons many others don't. It's more complicated. I don't see what was wrong with the old one. Having said this, I don't think switching to an upgraded version is that big a deal. I know, for me, I just have to take some time to get used to it.