Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sports Announcers

I have a question for all you sports fans out there that listen to sports broadcasting on the radio and/or on TV. Do you ever get annoyed when a sports announcer shares his/her enthusiasm or frustration with the peformance of the team they are broadcasting?

For example, if you are watching the CUBS, and Theriot strikes out...does it bother you when the announcer will say something like"Oh, no! What a bad call". Or if "D. Lee" hits a routine fly ball to the outfield and the announcers proclaim "It's outta there...it's outta there...oh no, its not, they caught it...ugh."

These may be slight exaggerations; however it happens often with many broadcasters and I find it completely unprofessional. I feel that although someone may only broadcast for the Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Bulls, or Dolphins... their emotions should be in check. I know this may be difficult in games such as the World Series but I don't like it when broadcasters act as though they are both FANS and ANNOUNCERS during the broadcast.

I may just be very nit-picky but come on-just tell me what is happening (2 balls 1 strike, man on 3rd, touchdown...and so on). When they add agression or excitement it makes me question their credibility a little bit.

Just my thoughts, but during this past baseball season, it really began to bug me and my boyfriend and we turned off broadcasts in protest. Do you find it unprofessional? Or does this not bother anyone much??

1 comment:

Adrila said...

I actually love to hear the emotions of announers. Truthfully I cant stand to listen to the white sox announcers (no offense) I just feel that they are boring, and have nothing worth saying except making the game calls. I love to listen to Len and Bob, the Cubs TV broadcasters, because they have emotion in their voices and it is nice to know they have an interest in what they are broascasting. My favorite announcer to listen to are Pat and Ron on WGN radio. Ron is so invested in the Cubs. His heart gets broken along with all the rest of the Cubs fans. It is entertaining, and I love to hear his emotions in his voice.