Wednesday, October 8, 2008

ESPN Overload

Have you checked out the ESPN website lately? If you have, maybe you've experienced the same shock when the automatic news reel and advertisements start playing. As soon as the website uploads, the videos start playing on the right side of the screen. First, there is usually an ad from the sponsor, followed by a shortened version of Sports Center. These clips give you a few highlights and sound bites, probably trying to lure the viewer in for the whole story. It is a good tactic for publicity and probably will increase viewership, but it is really annoying.  Is it right that these videos should pop up instantly without the users approval? I had my volume on the highest setting, and when this video came up it really made me jump. I think it also distracted everyone else in the Terry Food Court (Baumhart's dining hall). How far does ESPN or any other news station for that matter need to go to get attention? Does this mean that ratings or viewers are down and they're trying to reach out the the online crowd? Whatever it is, it bugs me. Does this bother anyone else or am I just being picky?

3 comments:

elizabeth o. said...

It's not just ESPN that uses that tactic. ABC & NBC do as well - I watch my television from my computer since I don't have one in my dorm.

When I go to the show's homepage, almost immediately I am hit by sounds from their latest program as well as advertisements.

I think the companies have begun this new way of reaching out because there are more people turning to watch their shows online, since you can watch them whenever you want. and yes, it bothers me. that's why I mute my computer until my show actually loads.

Mack said...

Also, SportsCenter has their own website. Why? Have no stinking clue...

julie s. said...

I totally agree! Pop ups are very annoying! But a lot of other websites are doing it, too.

Has anyone else seen the floating heads go across the screen? Those are the worst.