Thursday, August 28, 2008

Lloyds Is Pants

I don't know if this is too silly but I found this piece on BBC news and I figured if they thought it was news worthy it must be. I figured it tied into media in that it is essentially about censorship, which is probably why BBC news published it. It was also highly educational, as I've never heard pants used as an insult before. BBC is my favorite news source mostly because they are willing to put funny pieces like this out there, next to all the important stories. It reminded me areas of interest that was mentioned in our required reading; the idea that each citizen has his or her own issues that he or she cares about, and issues he or she is ignorant of. BBC does a great job of trying to touch all subject areas. You can sign on and see a report about Putin, and the recent problems between Russia and Georgia, or you can read about the nun beauty pageant.

3 comments:

GWW said...

I'm sorry, I couldn't figure out how to make the links work. The three stories I posted were as follows:
1)http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hereford/worcs/7585098.stm
2)http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7586605.stm
3)http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7581039.stm
Once again, I'm sorry I couldn't link them through the post.

Elizabeth O said...

I fully agree that the BBC tries to do its best in highlighting issues that appeal to a broad range of people. I think it's good to see that a world-renowned news corporation is willing to publish "fluff" articles that bring a smile to the readers' faces alongside the more serious subjects.

I think it's also interesting to use the BBC (as they publish in English) to gauge how/what the world thinks of America and its politics. The BBC does a good job of explaining our political system and current election, whereas I feel that American-based news just report on what's most recent and expect you to know the backstory.

bastiaan said...

I created the links for you in-text. In order to link, highlight your text , then click on the link symbol in the format panel and enter the URL in the pop up box.